The CSRP goals are "to improve the understanding and prediction of African climate on monthly, seasonal and decadal timescales and to strengthen climate science capacity in Africa." At the highest level, these efforts are oriented on four specific science objectives:
- Improved understanding and modelling,
- Improved prediction products,
- Observational monitoring and attribution, and
- Evaluation of HadGEM3 representation and predictability of climate variability;
- Investigation of the mechanisms underlying climate variability;
- Attribution for the role of anthropogenic factors in observed climate extremes;
- Seasonal forecast evaluation and use;
- Decadal forecast evaluation and demonstration of potential uses;
- Construction of regional historical observation datasets;
- Downscaling investigations and applications.
Interested graduates can find full documentation describing the available fellowship opportunities, as well as guidance for preparation of an application package, at the fellowship program website.