19 April 2015

Hello Again

Hello again, everyone. It's been a long time since I last posted anything here, and even longer since I've written anything of substance specifically for this blog. I've not forgotten about it, though.

There has been a lot of work in the meantime. I am now a PhD Candidate in the Forest Science program at the University of Wisconsin–Madison. I wrote a journal article that was published last summer. I wrote my dissertation proposal that I presented and had accepted by my committee last fall. I've written fellowship proposals the past three winters, generally good but none that finally hit until this spring: for one year beginning this June I will be a Wisconsin Space Grant Consortium Graduate and Professional Research Fellow, which covers some of my research and work expenses, and I'm still waiting to hear back this spring about a fellowship that would fully cover my funding for the next couple years, until I finish out my dissertation entirely. I'm starting writing on my next journal article, and I'm really glad to be working with my advisor and the people around me.

So I think what I'm going to do with this blog is this: I'm going to start writing again, for myself and for you, and more often about reality, my work, my many subjects of interest. I may still post new reports, and I'll keep the calendar of conferences going, but I'm not going to let that be the entirely of my commitment here. I'm going to write more about my daily work, my research and papers and proposals, things I'm learning along the path of my dissertation. It's not going to be a straight line to the finish. It's kind of late in life for graduate school, at least compared to many of my co-workers, but better late than never. I learned a lot while working in between times at grad school, and that knowledge and experience has guided a lot of what I'm doing now.

First, this Tuesday I will be posting my review of Cynthia Barnett's newest book Rain: A Natural and Cultural History on the date of its official release (you can still pre-order it!). I also reviewed her previous book, Blue Revolution, which I encourage you to revisit between now and Tuesday. After that, I'll do my best to post regularly on what's going on, and you have my enduring thanks for sticking with me.

No comments: